Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas with Avocado and Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, dried, trimmed, and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 (8-inch) white or whole wheat tortillas
- 4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 ounce baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set a 10- to 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil and ½ tablespoon butter; once melted, swirl to coat pan.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately five minutes or until mushrooms give off liquid.
- Increase heat to high and stir frequently until liquid has completely evaporated.
- Add remaining ½ tablespoon butter to pan, and stir and cook until mushrooms are tender and browned, about five minutes more.
- Add garlic to pan and stir constantly for about 30 seconds, or until garlic becomes aromatic but not too dark.
- Season mushrooms with salt and freshly ground black pepper and transfer to a plate, draining on a paper towel if they seem too oily.
- Lay out two tortillas on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle EACH tortilla with 1 ounce of shredded cheese, ½ ounce spinach, ½ of the cooked mushrooms, ½ of the sliced avocado, and final 1 ounce of shredded cheese.
- Lay the remaining tortillas on top.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Transfer an assembled quesadilla onto the skillet.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, occasionally lifting edge of quesadilla to check color of underside, until tortilla begins to turn golden and cheese starts to melt.
- Carefully flip quesadilla over and cook for another couple of minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove hot quesadilla to a plate and repeat with second quesadilla.
- Alternatively, you may cook both quesadillas at the same time on a flat griddle.
- Slice each quesadilla into 6 wedges and serve hot.