French Onion Soup Sandwiches
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 4 Ciabatta rolls, halved
- 1 c. shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 c. no-beef broth, heated (you can find meatless beef broth at stores like Whole Foods)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on low heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook until caramelized about an hour and fifteen minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper to taste and thyme.
- Heat Panini press or grill on high.
- Divide caramelized onions onto bottom of rolls and top each one with ¼ cup of cheese and top half of roll.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is golden-brown.
- Serve each sandwich with 1 cup of broth.