Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbsp safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion for about 2 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and ginger, cooking an addition 3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and salt and cook for 2 minutes, tasting to make sure it’s to your liking.
- Next add the sweet potatoes, broth and lentils.
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat and cover, allowing to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Then add spinach (or kale) and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!