Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Recipe Type: Appetizer
[url href=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/b1-300×199.jpg”][img src=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/b1-300×199.jpg” width=”300″ height=”199″ class=”alignnone size-medium” title=”b1″][/url]
- 2 (12 ounce) packages white button mushrooms, cap size doesn’t really matter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package sausage
- 1/4 cup butter (melted, quite optional!)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Separate caps and stems while cleaning the mushrooms.
- If cleaning with water, let them drain for a bit.
- Start cooking the sausage in frying pan, at a medium to medium/high temperature.
- While the sausage is cooking, put the cream cheese into a mixing bowl so it can soften and mince the stem pieces.
- Spice the sausage to taste. Garlic is a good addition.
- Just before the sausage is done, add the stem pieces and finish cooking.
- Drain off the excess grease and add the sausage/stem mixture into the cream cheese.
- Mix together well using a wooden spoon or your hands. Be careful, as it will be rather hot.
- Set the caps into a 13×9 pan (or larger) with sides.
- Optional! Melt enough butter to just put a little in the bottom of each cap or just brush some over the top of each after they’re filled. You can put any extra butter in the bottom of the pan.
- Fill the caps with the cream cheese/sausage/stem mix.
- Add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan, just enough to cover the bottom.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and the mushrooms have turned dark.
- Scoop them out of the pan with a slotted spoon and arrange them on a plate.
- Serve warm. They reheat well, so you can make them ahead of time.