Buche de Noel (Yule Log)
- For the Cake:
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 once butter, melted and cooled slightly
- cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven 350 F.
- Grease a jelly roll pan (17 by 12 inches) and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper and flour the bottom and sides of the pan, knocking out the excess.
- We first need to make a meringue. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whip attachment, beat the egg whites on low, gradually add the sugar and raise the speed to high, beat for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and using a rubber spatula, carefully fold them into the meringue.
- Fold the cake flour into the meringue and last fold the cooled melted butter.
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out into an even layer.
- Bake the cake for 5 minutes, rotate the pan and continue to bake for another 7 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched.
- While the cake is baking, place a clean kitchen towel on a work surface.
- Place coco power in a sieve and generously dust the kitchen towel evenly.
- When the cake is done, immediately flip it into the prepare kitchen towel.
- Remove the pan and gently peel off the parchment paper.
- Carefully start rolling the cake from the long end into a tight spiral.
- Keep the cake rolled until it's completely cooled and really to be filled.
Buche de Noel (Yule Log) Buttercream
- Dulce de leche Buttercream: ( Buche de Noel)
- 1 sticks of butter, softened
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter and cream cheese together until creamed.
- Add the dulce the leche and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix for 3 minutes more.
- To assemble:
- Gently unfold the cake and using an offset spatula, lightly coat the surface of the cake with a thin layer of butter cream.
- With the help of the kitchen towel, carefully re-roll the cake into a tight roll.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter before continue with the decoration.
- Using a serrated knife, cut 1 inch off one of the ends of the log and place the end piece cut side up on top of the log ("glue" it to the log with some butter cream) to resemble cut brunch.
- Using the offset spatula, cover the entire log including the ends with butter cream.
- With the help of a fork, score the log in long even lines to resemble tree bark.
- Decorate the cake with mushrooms meringues (this is the fun part so enjoy it!) and last but not least, let it snow!! Dust the cake with confectioners' sugar!!
Buche de Noel (Yule Log) Mushrooms
- For the mushroom meringue:
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 9 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- chocolate frosting
- Preheat the oven 200 F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with lemon juice until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at the time mixing well after each addition.
- Mix until whites are stiff and glossy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to large pastry bag fitted with ½-inch plain pastry tip.
- For the mushroom caps: Pipe domes, 1 to 2 inches in diameter, onto prepared baking sheets, and flatten the tips with your fingers.
- Pipe stems onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven or until dry.
- To assemble, spread bottoms of caps with a thin layer of chocolate frosting, carefully insert stem.
- With your fingers, rub some chocolate frosting on top of each mushroom cap.