Coconut Rice a.k.a Rice and Peas
[url href=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/AAcoconutrice-200×300.jpg”][img src=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/AAcoconutrice-200×300.jpg” width=”200″ height=”300″ class=”alignnone size-medium” title=”AAcoconutrice”][/url]
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 15.5 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 13.5oz can ( 1- 3/4 cups) coconut milk)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet hot pepper( not chopped) Optional
- In a medium heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium: add garlic, scallion, onion and thyme.
- Saute` a few minutes, then add rice, beans and stir.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt and fresh pepper and place the whole scotch bonnet pepper in the pot, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Remove and discard the hot pepper and continue to cook the rice until almost all the liquid is absorbed and just skims the top.
- Cover; reduce heat to low; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 additional minutes to allow the steam to finish cooking the rice ( do not be tempted to lift off the lid before that). Serve hot.