Whipped Feta with Cucumbers
Recipe Type: Super Bowl Food
[url href=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CQ-Whipped-feta-with-cucumbers-300×300.jpg”][img src=”http://cookingqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CQ-Whipped-feta-with-cucumbers-300×300.jpg” width=”300″ height=”300″ class=”alignnone size-medium” title=”CQ Whipped feta with cucumbers”][/url]
- 1 pound feta cheese, cut into 2 pieces, at room temperature
- 1/4 pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cucumbers (1 1/2 pounds)—halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted pita or baguette slices, for serving
- In a large bowl, cover the feta with water and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to temper the saltiness.
- Drain and coarsely crumble the feta.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and process until smooth and airy.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the cucumbers with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Serve the whipped feta lightly chilled or at room temperature with the cucumbers and toasts.