Strawberry Sponge Cake
- 6 oz butter, soft
- 6 oz white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 oz self-rising flour
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp icing sugar and extra for sifting
- ¾ lb strawberries
- 4 tbsp good quality strawberry or raspberry jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter and line two 8 or 9-inch cake tins with parchment paper.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until it becomes pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Then fold in the flour, one spoonful at a time, and blend until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 cake tins and level off with a knife.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the sponge cakes are well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch. Run a rounded butter knife around the inside edge of the cake tin and carefully turn the cake out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, hull the strawberries and slice them in half.
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it becomes quite stiff.
- When the cakes are cool, spread the jam on one of the sponge cakes and spread half of the whipped cream on top.
- Place half of the strawberries on top of the cream.
- Place the other sponge cake on top and spread with the remaining whipped cream.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries in a spiral round the top of the cake.