Jean, Jean's Bean , Bean Chili
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (I use 1 teaspoon each)
- 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans
- 2 (24-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the onions over medium heat until sweated, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions are soft add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic.
- Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork.
- Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beans.
- Toss together, then add the crushed tomatoes.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.