- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk and leafy tops, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, 4 to 5 sprigs
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups white French wine, 1/3 bottle
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes, remove with slotted spoon.
Heat a pot of water to boil for egg noodles.
While bacon crisps, scatter 1/2 cup flour on a shallow dish. Season the chopped chicken with salt and pepper and add to flour. Toss the chicken to coat and shake off the excess as you add it to the hot bacon drippings. Lightly brown the chicken about 3 minutes on each side then remove. Add to the pan the celery, carrots and onions as you chop them. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook vegetables 5 to 6 minutes to tenderize them. Scoot vegetables off to the sides of the pan forming a well. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the well and melt them whisk in 2 tablespoons flour. Whisk wine into roux, shake pan to combine then stir in stock. Add chicken back to the pan and stir in the onions. Simmer the chicken 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning.